What's the right length for a nap?

Emilia Klapp
Although some countries in the Mediterranean region are known for their afternoon siestas, a siesta doesn’t have to be two hours long. Doctors have found that a 10- for 15-minute nap at midday helps to reduce stress. A nap longer than 20 minutes can cause a headache and general discomfort. Aim for taking a 15-minute rest after you are done eating lunch.

Continue Learning about Sleep Basics

Reduce Screen Time for Better Sleep
Reduce Screen Time for Better Sleep
In Bedtime for Bonzo, when college professor Peter Boyd (Ronald Regan) attempts to demonstrate that he can teach a chimpanzee (Bonzo) right from wrong...
Can warm milk really help me fall asleep?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
You might think that tryptophan, a natural substance found in milk that can have a relaxation effect...
Why is it important to get sufficient sleep?
Dr. Christopher E. Morgan, MDDr. Christopher E. Morgan, MD
It is important to get sufficient sleep because sleep repairs and reorganizes the body’s neural circ...
What Can I Do to Avoid Waking Up at Night After Falling Asleep?