What are the pitfalls of sleeping on my back?

The Soldier: This sleeper spends the night on his back.

The problem-Sleeping in the supine position can cause the tongue to fall inwards to block the breathing tube. Back sleepers are prone to snoring and sleeping supine is not good for people with sleep apnea, a life-threatening sleep disorder that causes brief episodes of breathlessness.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Sleep Basics

Tell Me Why…I Dream
Tell Me Why…I Dream
You’re in class and the teacher announces a surprise test. You haven’t studied, done homework or even been to class for weeks—and you may or may not b...
What are the health benefits of taking a nap?
In a world where 34% of employees work 41 to 60 hours a week and spend up to 80 hours a month co...
How can lack of sleep affect my risk of diabetes?
Dr. Alice DomarDr. Alice Domar
In one famous study, Eve Van Cauter, PhD, at the University of Chicago, put healthy young men onto a...
Is Skimping on Sleep Okay?
Is Skimping on Sleep Okay?