What are the pitfalls of sleeping on my back?

The Soldier: This sleeper spends the night on his back.

The problem-Sleeping in the supine position can cause the tongue to fall inwards to block the breathing tube. Back sleepers are prone to snoring and sleeping supine is not good for people with sleep apnea, a life-threatening sleep disorder that causes brief episodes of breathlessness.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Sleep Basics

Tell Me Why…I Dream
Tell Me Why…I Dream
You’re in class and the teacher announces a surprise test. You haven’t studied, done homework or even been to class for weeks—and you may or may not b...
What can cause me to sleep too much?
If you are having a hard time getting out of bed, let's narrow down what might be causing your exces...
Why should I use my bedroom only for the purpose of sleeping?
Dede BonnerDede Bonner
One of the worst things you can do for your sleeping problems is to use your bedroom for other activ...
What's a Good Breathing Exercise to Help Me Sleep?