How can lack of sleep lead to drug use in teens?

What’s interesting about this latest study is that contrary to the general assumption that drug use leads to a negative effect on sleep, the scientists found that sleep loss is likely to lead adolescents to use drugs. Specifically:

• The less adolescents sleep, the more likely their friends are to sleep poorly and use marijuana.

• Poor sleep behavior and marijuana use extended up to four degrees of separation in a social network--to one’s friends’ friends’ friends’ friends.

And marijuana may be just the tip of the iceberg. Experimenting with a drug like this may lead to other drugs such as cocaine, heroine, or ecstasy--three of the most common drugs used today by adolescents.

Continue Learning about Sleep Basics

What Can I Do to Avoid Waking Up at Night After Falling Asleep?
Can My Diet Affect My Sleep?
Can My Diet Affect My Sleep?
How Can I Improve My Teen's Sleep Habits?
Is Skimping on Sleep Okay?
Is Skimping on Sleep Okay?