How can lack of sleep lead to drug use in teens?

What’s interesting about this latest study is that contrary to the general assumption that drug use leads to a negative effect on sleep, the scientists found that sleep loss is likely to lead adolescents to use drugs. Specifically:

• The less adolescents sleep, the more likely their friends are to sleep poorly and use marijuana.

• Poor sleep behavior and marijuana use extended up to four degrees of separation in a social network--to one’s friends’ friends’ friends’ friends.

And marijuana may be just the tip of the iceberg. Experimenting with a drug like this may lead to other drugs such as cocaine, heroine, or ecstasy--three of the most common drugs used today by adolescents.

Continue Learning about Sleep Basics

Tell Me Why…I Dream
Tell Me Why…I Dream
You’re in class and the teacher announces a surprise test. You haven’t studied, done homework or even been to class for weeks—and you may or may not b...
When are people naturally most sleepy?
Our bodies are programmed by our biological clocks to experience two natural periods of sleepiness d...
How can sleep deprivation affect my immune system?
West Valley Medical CenterWest Valley Medical Center
Sleep is the way the body repairs itself, and with sleep deprivation, the immune system is the first...
What Can I Do to Avoid Waking Up at Night After Falling Asleep?