How can lack of sleep affect my sex life?

Lack of sleep can take a toll on your sex life:

• Sleep disorders and chronic sleep loss put a serious ding into a sex life. No surprise there. When some partners resort to separate bedrooms due to snoring, sleep apnea, or restless sleep, that pretty much rules out any opportunity for spontaneous action.

• The effects of sleep deprivation--low energy, fatigue, and sleepiness--won’t inspire sex. No surprise there either.

• Men with obstructive sleep apnea (OSA), an inability to breathe properly during sleep, commonly report low libidos and sexual activity.

• OSA may be associated with lower testosterone levels. A 2002 study of men at the Technion Sleep Laboratory in Israel found that nearly half of those who suffered from severe sleep apnea also secreted abnormally low levels of testosterone during the night.

• Sleep loss can make you quarrelsome: you’ll be “feisty” in an irritable kind of way--not a sexy kind of way.

• Sleep loss makes you less able to cope with life’s ups and downs. Sex can be a great stress reducer, but if you don’t have energy for it, then that reduces your opportunities to unwind.

• People with insomnia are also less likely to engage in social activities. This doesn’t bode well for the single person looking to make an intimate connection.

Continue Learning about Sleep Basics

Reduce Screen Time for Better Sleep
Reduce Screen Time for Better Sleep
In Bedtime for Bonzo, when college professor Peter Boyd (Ronald Regan) attempts to demonstrate that he can teach a chimpanzee (Bonzo) right from wrong...
Why do air traffic controllers and pilots fall asleep?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) reported yet another air traffic controller who fell a...
Why is sleep deprivation so common?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Modern society has contributed to the problem of sleeplessness, says pulmonologist and sleep special...
Can My Diet Affect My Sleep?
Can My Diet Affect My Sleep?