How does lack of sleep affect job performance?

Sleep plays a huge role in the ability to perform, even when it comes to basic skills we’ve done over and over again. And thinking about our pilots’ alertness is probably not something that enters our minds as we’re boarding planes and getting organized in our seats, but the thoughts are crossing millions of grounded minds this week as more news emerges about the fate of that February ride.

The history books are loaded with similar stories: The 1989 Exxon Valdez oil spill off Alaska, the Challenger space shuttle disaster, and the Chernobyl nuclear accident have all been attributed to human errors in which sleep-deprivation played a role.

Sorry, but sleep deprivation--regardless of your job--is not a badge of honor. Pilots aside, think of all the jobs that rely on alertness in critical, potentially life-threatening scenarios: ER doctors, surgeons, ground transportation drivers, air-traffic controllers, freight train engineers, etc. The sad part is the challenge of ensuring our pilots, drivers, controllers, and so forth are indeed fit to be at the helm.

Continue Learning about Sleep Basics

Tell Me Why…I Dream
Tell Me Why…I Dream
You’re in class and the teacher announces a surprise test. You haven’t studied, done homework or even been to class for weeks—and you may or may not b...
What can I do if my bed partner is a night owl, but I am an early bird?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
If you and your bed partner have different sleep schedules, the early bird can wear eyeshades and ea...
Why does my body jerk awake just as I'm falling asleep?
Ever wake up suddenly as your body jumps awake? In this video, Dr. Oz reveals the cause of these...
Can My Diet Affect My Sleep?
Can My Diet Affect My Sleep?