What steps can be taken to improve the sleeping habits in teenagers?

The best thing that a parent can do is to try and educate their teen on how important sleep is for them academically, physically, and even socially. 

Adopt appropriate sleep hygiene patterns. This would involve setting a regular sleep schedule, restricting the use of caffeine or nicotine, keeping a bedroom appropriate as sleep environment (cool, dark, and quiet), trying not to engage in activities before bed that could keep them from sleeping (TV, texting, etc.), and knowing when they are too tired to perform a particular activity (i.e., driving).

Continue Learning about Sleep Basics

Tell Me Why…I Dream
Tell Me Why…I Dream
You’re in class and the teacher announces a surprise test. You haven’t studied, done homework or even been to class for weeks—and you may or may not b...
What is the importance of sleep in my life?
Dr. Michael T. Murray, NDDr. Michael T. Murray, ND
Adequate sleep is absolutely necessary for long-term health and regeneration. Many physiologic proce...
What are the pitfalls of sleeping on my back?
The Soldier: This sleeper spends the night on his back.The problem-Sleeping in the supine position c...
What Can I Do to Avoid Waking Up at Night After Falling Asleep?