What are some of ill effects of short-term sleep deprivation?

Short-term sleep deprivation raises blood pressure and stress hormones, it also lowers glucose tolerance and it can even lead to irregular heartbeat. These factors all are precursors to coronary disease.

Chronic sleep deprivation also promotes diabetes and weight gain, which ultimately can send you to the emergency room, clutching at your chest.

Going without enough sleep also has an impact on the functioning of the lining within the blood vessels. It also can cause low-grade inflammation that could lead to heart disease.

Continue Learning about Sleep Basics

Reduce Screen Time for Better Sleep
Reduce Screen Time for Better Sleep
In Bedtime for Bonzo, when college professor Peter Boyd (Ronald Regan) attempts to demonstrate that he can teach a chimpanzee (Bonzo) right from wrong...
What are the pitfalls of sleeping on my back?
The Soldier: This sleeper spends the night on his back.The problem-Sleeping in the supine position c...
What can I do if my bed partner doesn't agree on room temperature?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
If you and your bed partner don't agree on room temperature, the warm partner can sleep outside the ...
Is Skimping on Sleep Okay?
Is Skimping on Sleep Okay?