How do vitamin D levels affect my sleep?

We’ve seen evidence that Vitamin D deficiency is associated with sleep problems, particularly with daytime sleepiness. A new study examined the link between daytime sleepiness and Vitamin D, and also considered one of the major risk factors of Vitamin D deficiency: skin pigmentation.

Vitamin D is actually a fat-soluble hormone, which the body can receive in food and also through supplements. But the primary -- and most effective -- way the body accumulates Vitamin D is during exposure to sunlight. Exposure to sunlight prompts our skin to self-manufacture Vitamin D. Increased skin pigmentation lowers the rate of manufacture of Vitamin D. Therefore, greater levels of skin pigmentation are considered a risk factor for Vitamin D deficiency.

Continue Learning about Sleep Basics

Tell Me Why…I Dream
Tell Me Why…I Dream
You’re in class and the teacher announces a surprise test. You haven’t studied, done homework or even been to class for weeks—and you may or may not b...
Can warm milk really help me fall asleep?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
You might think that tryptophan, a natural substance found in milk that can have a relaxation effect...
Why can some people function well on little sleep?
People who actually only need fewer than six hours of sleep a night are called ‘super sleepers’ ...
How Can I Improve My Teen's Sleep Habits?