How can sleeping more help with weight loss?

Dropping a few pounds is just a matter of eating less and exercising more, right? Wrong. You'll shed more weight -- and reduce stress levels -- if you add these two steps to the formula: Chill out and turn in early. That's right. A  study found that curbing stress and getting plenty of sleep can help you slim down.

Relax and Sleep to Lose Weight

Researchers put 432 obese adults on a standard eat-less/exercise-more weight-loss plan for 6 months. Although most folks lost weight, those with lower stress levels at the start of the study lost a lot more than their anxious counterparts did. Sleep also impacted the amount of weight lost. People who snoozed at least 6 -- but not more than 8 -- hours a night were more likely to achieve the study's pre-established goal of at least 10 pounds, compared to those who got less or more shut-eye. Study participants with the most stress and sleep difficulties were 50 percent less likely than the mellow, well-rested dieters to slim down and reach the study's 10-pound goal.

Continue Learning about Sleep Basics

Tell Me Why…I Dream
Tell Me Why…I Dream
You’re in class and the teacher announces a surprise test. You haven’t studied, done homework or even been to class for weeks—and you may or may not b...
Can I make up for lost sleep on the weekend?
Carol Ash, DOCarol Ash, DO
We create "sleep debt" during the week, which many of us try to make up for by sleeping in on the we...
How are sleep and human growth hormone (HGH) linked?
Leslie Bonci, MPHLeslie Bonci, MPH
One reason sleep is so crucial to health is that you produce human growth hormone (HGH) while yo...
What Can I Do to Avoid Waking Up at Night After Falling Asleep?