How can I adjust my sleep schedule to Daylight Savings Time?

The time change in the spring is always more difficult than in the fall since we spring forward and end up losing an hour of our day, and since that time change officially happens at 2 AM on Sunday morning, the hour we lose is an hour of sleep.

Here are some tips to help you be more aware of the loss of that valuable hour of sleep and better adjust to it:

Starting about 4-5 days before the change, stick to this schedule:
  • On Tuesday and Wednesday, get in bed 15 minutes earlier than your normal bedtime.
  • On Thursday and Friday, 30 minutes earlier than normal, and on Saturday night, try to get into bed 45 minutes earlier than your normal bedtime.
  • Beginning on the Tuesday before the time change, stop drinking caffeine at 1:30 in the afternoon to help with the earlier bedtime.
  • Avoid alcohol during the weekend of the time change.
  • Keep up your exercise during the week for better sleep quality.
  • Make sure you get sunlight in the morning the day of the time change to help reset your body clock.
Be aware of your bedtime routine as the clock springs forward. Otherwise you might fall back asleep at the wrong time.

Continue Learning about Sleep Basics

Tell Me Why…I Dream
Tell Me Why…I Dream
You’re in class and the teacher announces a surprise test. You haven’t studied, done homework or even been to class for weeks—and you may or may not b...
What can I do to make it easier to wake up in the morning?
Do you hit the snooze bar because you can't wake up in the morning? Watch the video to find out f...
What medical conditions can interfere with sleep?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Medical conditions, such as heart failure and prostate disease, can interfere with sleep, as can cer...
Is Skimping on Sleep Okay?
Is Skimping on Sleep Okay?