How can I avoid sleep deprivation when changing to daylight saving time?

Here are some things you can do to prevent becoming sleep deprived during daylight saving time:
  • Go to bed 20 minutes earlier Wednesday and Thursday; then another 20 minutes earlier Friday and Saturday. This will help your body adjust to the difference easier.
  • When you wake up Sunday morning, immediately change the time on your bedroom clock. Help your brain visualize the time change.
  • Eat lunch and dinner 30-60 minutes earlier for 3 days before the time change to get your other daily routines in sync for the new time change.
  • Beginning a few days before the time change, stop drinking caffeine at 1:00 in the afternoon to help with the earlier bedtime.
  • Avoid alcohol during the weekend of the time change (this one can be tough).
  • Keep up your exercise during the week for better sleep quality and maybe throw in an extra work out this weekend.
  • Make sure you get sunlight in the morning the day of the time change to help reset your body clock.
And if possible, my number 1 recommendation is:
  • Ask your boss if you can either work from home the morning after the time change, or come in late.

Continue Learning about Sleep Basics

Tell Me Why…I Dream
Tell Me Why…I Dream
You’re in class and the teacher announces a surprise test. You haven’t studied, done homework or even been to class for weeks—and you may or may not b...
What is the importance of sleep in my life?
Dr. Michael T. Murray, NDDr. Michael T. Murray, ND
Adequate sleep is absolutely necessary for long-term health and regeneration. Many physiologic proce...
Why can some people function well on little sleep?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
People who actually only need fewer than six hours of sleep a night are called ‘super sleepers’ ...
Is Skimping on Sleep Okay?
Is Skimping on Sleep Okay?