How can I avoid sleep deprivation when changing to daylight saving time?

Here are some things you can do to prevent becoming sleep deprived during daylight saving time:
  • Go to bed 20 minutes earlier Wednesday and Thursday; then another 20 minutes earlier Friday and Saturday. This will help your body adjust to the difference easier.
  • When you wake up Sunday morning, immediately change the time on your bedroom clock. Help your brain visualize the time change.
  • Eat lunch and dinner 30-60 minutes earlier for 3 days before the time change to get your other daily routines in sync for the new time change.
  • Beginning a few days before the time change, stop drinking caffeine at 1:00 in the afternoon to help with the earlier bedtime.
  • Avoid alcohol during the weekend of the time change (this one can be tough).
  • Keep up your exercise during the week for better sleep quality and maybe throw in an extra work out this weekend.
  • Make sure you get sunlight in the morning the day of the time change to help reset your body clock.
And if possible, my number 1 recommendation is:
  • Ask your boss if you can either work from home the morning after the time change, or come in late.

Continue Learning about Sleep Basics

What Can I Do to Avoid Waking Up at Night After Falling Asleep?
What's a Good Breathing Exercise to Help Me Sleep?
How Can a Food Curfew Help Me Get a Good Night's Sleep?
Can My Diet Affect My Sleep?
Can My Diet Affect My Sleep?