How does sleep deprivation affect health and well-being?

“Sleep has an enormous impact on society and health,” says sleep-medicine specialist Alon Avidan, M.D., M.P.H., director of the UCLA Sleep Disorders Center. He notes that excessive sleepiness can result in cognitive difficulties and memory problems, as well as severely impairing one’s alertness and ability to drive, which may result in accidents.

Chronic insomnia, which affects approximately one in 10 Americans, is associated with higher rates of depression. However, when the insomnia problem is addressed, mood often significantly improves. Obstructive sleep apnea, a common but frequently undiagnosed disorder that is often the source of daytime sleepiness, increases the risk of high blood pressure, heart disease and stroke when left untreated.

Continue Learning about Sleep Basics

Reduce Screen Time for Better Sleep
Reduce Screen Time for Better Sleep
In Bedtime for Bonzo, when college professor Peter Boyd (Ronald Regan) attempts to demonstrate that he can teach a chimpanzee (Bonzo) right from wrong...
What stages of sleep are important for memory?
Dr. Christopher E. Morgan, MDDr. Christopher E. Morgan, MD
The earlier stages of sleep are important for memory consolidation—specifically stage two and three....
Can getting enough sleep make me more attractive?
Today, sleep medicine is a highly regarded field of study that continues to provide insights into th...
How Can I Improve My Teen's Sleep Habits?