How does sleep affect my emotions?

Rapid eye movement (REM) sleep helps the brain to process emotional memories. In a recent study, people who slept after being exposed to emotionally charged images had a less intense reaction to seeing these images a second time, compared to people who saw the images twice without sleeping between viewings. Measuring brain activity using magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), researchers observed a quieting of activity in the region of the brain that processes emotions, indicating that during REM sleep the brain is "soothing" itself of stress.
Sheri Van Dijk
Psychiatry
Getting too much sleep and not getting enough sleep can contribute to your being more emotionally reactive. You've likely noticed that if you don't sleep well, or if you don't get the right amount of sleep, you tend to be more irritable the next day. Similarly, if you sleep too much, you probably feel sluggish, lethargic, and grumpy. In both cases, you probably also notice a lack of energy and motivation. To reduce your emotional reactivity, it's important to figure out how much sleep you need and to stick to that amount of sleep as much as possible.
Calming the Emotional Storm: Using Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills to Manage Your Emotions and Balance Your Life

When you have difficulties managing your emotions, it can feel like you’re losing control of your whole life. Anger, hurt, grief, worry, and other intense feelings can be overwhelming, and how you...

Continue Learning about Sleep Basics

Reduce Screen Time for Better Sleep
Reduce Screen Time for Better Sleep
In Bedtime for Bonzo, when college professor Peter Boyd (Ronald Regan) attempts to demonstrate that he can teach a chimpanzee (Bonzo) right from wrong...
Why does my body jerk awake just as I'm falling asleep?
Ever wake up suddenly as your body jumps awake? In this video, Dr. Oz reveals the cause of these...
How do sleep patterns change with age?
Dr. Aruna V. Josyula, MDDr. Aruna V. Josyula, MD
Sleep patterns change with normal aging, and insomnia is a common complaint among seniors. As an old...
Can My Diet Affect My Sleep?
Can My Diet Affect My Sleep?