How does REM sleep deprivation affect pain?

The relationship between sleep and pain is one we don’t yet fully understand. What we do know—and what anyone who suffers from chronic pain can attest to—is that each can have a significant effect on the other. The presence of pain can make it hard to fall asleep and stay asleep, and being sleep deprived can make a person feel more sensitive to aches and pains.

The type of sleep we get -- or don't get -- may be significant when it comes to pain. Researchers are increasingly focusing on stages of sleep that occur in the later stages of the sleep cycle - rapid eye movement (REM) sleep and delta, or slow wave, sleep -- as being critical in protecting pain thresholds. Throughout the night, your sleep unfolds in a recurring and progressive cycle. Over the course of a night, the cycle shifts so that you spend more time in REM sleep and in the later sleep stages that are considered slow wave sleep. If you are sleep deprived, or your sleep is constantly being interrupted, your body does not reach the REM and slow wave-rich sleep that occurs in these later periods.

Continue Learning about Sleep Basics

Tell Me Why…I Dream
Tell Me Why…I Dream
You’re in class and the teacher announces a surprise test. You haven’t studied, done homework or even been to class for weeks—and you may or may not b...
Can sleeping well help me live longer?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
A study in the journal Sleep indicates that sleep factors big time into one’s quality of life an...
When are people naturally most sleepy?
Our bodies are programmed by our biological clocks to experience two natural periods of sleepiness d...
How Can I Improve My Teen's Sleep Habits?