How can lack of sleep affect vaccinations?

A study suggests that people who get less sleep may have a less than optimal response to a vaccination. After adjusting for factors that could affect antibody response, researchers found that patients who received a series of Hepatitis B vaccinations did not all have the same precise immune response. In the study, 125 test subjects were fitted with sleep monitoring devices over a seven day period, after each of two hepatitis B vaccine injections. Those who slept for fewer hours had slightly less optimal immune responses to the shots. In fact, less sleep correlated to the likelihood of a lower secondary immune response, though by six months after the vaccination, clinical protection was normalized.

Sleep is crucial to optimal health, so researchers suggest there may be a basis for discussing sleep patterns with patients, before health professionals vaccinate patients. There are plan to do more research to see how this information can be used to optimize vaccine programs.

Continue Learning about Sleep Basics

Tell Me Why…I Dream
Tell Me Why…I Dream
You’re in class and the teacher announces a surprise test. You haven’t studied, done homework or even been to class for weeks—and you may or may not b...
Why is sleep deprivation so common?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Modern society has contributed to the problem of sleeplessness, says pulmonologist and sleep special...
How can I support my neck while sleeping?
Gerald M. SilvermanGerald M. Silverman
It is essential to properly support your neck at night. The key to relieving neck strain is to m...
How Can a Food Curfew Help Me Get a Good Night's Sleep?