How does lack of sleep affect skin?

What's the worst thing you can do to your skin, besides skipping sunscreen? Depriving yourself of sleep. It's called beauty rest for a reason, says Ellen Marmur, MD, associate professor of dermatology and genetics at Mount Sinai School of Medicine. "If we don't get a good night's sleep, we look ragged the next day. When you're sleeping, your body goes into parasympathetic mode, where energy is shifted away from the core and given to the rest of the body to rejuvenate," she explains. When you miss out on sleep, skin doesn't have time to repair itself.

Continue Learning about Sleep Basics

What Can I Do to Avoid Waking Up at Night After Falling Asleep?
What's a Good Breathing Exercise to Help Me Sleep?
How Can a Food Curfew Help Me Get a Good Night's Sleep?
Is Skimping on Sleep Okay?
Is Skimping on Sleep Okay?