How do I know if I am sleep-deprived?

It’s hard enough to make sure we get at least 7 hours of sleep every night, but it’s even more difficult to make sure those hours are good, quality sleep. In honor of Sleep Awareness Week, take a look at some of the questions that the CDC asked in a recent survey:
  • During the past 30 days, for about how many days have you felt you did not get enough rest or sleep?
  • During the past 30 days, for about how many days did you find yourself unintentionally falling asleep during the day?
  • During the past 30 days, have you ever nodded off or fallen asleep, even just for a brief moment, while driving?
Are you surprised by your answers? You shouldn’t be. In the subsequent CDC report, 35% of the adults studied reported getting less than 7 hours of sleep per night!

If you're wondering whether you're sleep deprived, consider how much time you need to fall asleep. It takes most people several minutes to drift into a deep slumber. If you fall asleep very quickly (e.g., within the first five minutes of lying down), it's a strong indication that you are sleep deprived.

Continue Learning about Sleep Basics

Tell Me Why…I Dream
Tell Me Why…I Dream
You’re in class and the teacher announces a surprise test. You haven’t studied, done homework or even been to class for weeks—and you may or may not b...
What is wake propensity?
Alon Avidan, MDAlon Avidan, MD
Wake propensity explains how sleepy or awake you may feel during the day and at night. When you w...
When are people naturally most sleepy?
Our bodies are programmed by our biological clocks to experience two natural periods of sleepiness d...
What Can I Do to Avoid Waking Up at Night After Falling Asleep?