How does alcohol affect my sleep?

Generally, if you must drink alcohol, you should do it earlier in the day to prevent its effects on sleep. Additionally, small amounts of alcohol (one drink or less) can help to decrease the effect alcohol has on sleep. High quantity of alcohol affects the quality of your sleep; the more you drink the more it will make your sleep fragmented with frequent awakenings. Some common side effects during alcohol-induced sleep include nightmares, headaches, snoring and frequent awakenings. Ultimately if you don't want alcohol to change your sleep patterns, then don't drink it.

Continue Learning about Sleep Basics

Tell Me Why…I Dream
Tell Me Why…I Dream
You’re in class and the teacher announces a surprise test. You haven’t studied, done homework or even been to class for weeks—and you may or may not b...
What Can I Do to Avoid Waking Up at Night After Falling Asleep?
Is Skimping on Sleep Okay?
Is Skimping on Sleep Okay?
Can My Diet Affect My Sleep?
Can My Diet Affect My Sleep?