How common is sleep deprivation in the U.S.?

People aren’t nearly as aware of the importance of sleep as they should be. In fact, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) recently released a report that says that more than a third of Americans get fewer than 7 hours of sleep a night. This might not seem like such a frightening statistic, but the long-term effects of sleep deprivation include severe health risks like diabetes and heart disease. The National Sleep Foundation recommends 7 to 10 hours of sleep a night for adults, and this report suggests that those who get less sleep are more likely to doze off during the day, even while driving. Now that’s scary.

Continue Learning about Sleep Basics

Tell Me Why…I Dream
Tell Me Why…I Dream
You’re in class and the teacher announces a surprise test. You haven’t studied, done homework or even been to class for weeks—and you may or may not b...
What are some tips on a good bedtime routine for my child?
Edward R. Christophersen, PhDEdward R. Christophersen, PhD
All of the following have been linked to more consistent bedtimes:  eliminating all screens after di...
What are the health benefits of taking a nap?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
Taking a short mid-afternoon nap can help rejuvenate you for the evening's activities. People wh...
What's a Good Breathing Exercise to Help Me Sleep?