How common is drowsy driving?

Some drivers may not understand the impact not getting enough sleep can have on alertness, reflexes, and degree of fatigue. Ten percent of drivers surveyed by the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety admitted to falling asleep while driving their vehicle during the past 12 months. Almost one-third of respondents said that they got behind the wheel during the previous four weeks even though it had been hard to keep their eyes open.

Continue Learning about Sleep Basics

Tell Me Why…I Dream
Tell Me Why…I Dream
You’re in class and the teacher announces a surprise test. You haven’t studied, done homework or even been to class for weeks—and you may or may not b...
What can I do if my bed partner is a night owl, but I am an early bird?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
If you and your bed partner have different sleep schedules, the early bird can wear eyeshades and ea...
How can lack of sleep affect my risk of diabetes?
Dr. Alice DomarDr. Alice Domar
In one famous study, Eve Van Cauter, PhD, at the University of Chicago, put healthy young men onto a...
How Can a Food Curfew Help Me Get a Good Night's Sleep?