What health problems could my teenager have from lack of sleep?

The health repercussions of sleep deprivation at this “tender” age may actually be worse than those of an adult. For starters, teens are establishing habits they will keep for a lifetime. A teen who gets used to eating poorly and packing on the pounds will likely grow into an overweight adult, when it’ll be that much harder to change those habits and lose the excess weight. The more fatty foods you eat, the more you crave them.

Secondly, we’re only beginning to understand the biomechanics of a developing person’s metabolism. Do teens who begin to have metabolic disturbances early in life suffer from a lifetime of irreversible higher health risks? It wouldn’t surprise me. And those higher risks may go far beyond just obesity and cardiovascular challenges. They may in fact go as far as upping the risk for cancer.

Continue Learning about Sleep Basics

Reduce Screen Time for Better Sleep
Reduce Screen Time for Better Sleep
In Bedtime for Bonzo, when college professor Peter Boyd (Ronald Regan) attempts to demonstrate that he can teach a chimpanzee (Bonzo) right from wrong...
Which is the healthiest sleeping position?
Steven Shoshany, DCSteven Shoshany, DC
The healthiest sleeping position is lying flat on your back with your cervical spine supported. In t...
What stages of sleep are important for memory?
Dr. Christopher E. Morgan, MDDr. Christopher E. Morgan, MD
The earlier stages of sleep are important for memory consolidation—specifically stage two and three....
How Can I Improve My Teen's Sleep Habits?