How can I get into a good sleep routine?

Sleeping in a cool, dark room is one way to get into a good sleep routine. If you find it hard to get to sleep, do something relaxing before going to bed - reading or watching TV - to calm you down. You can also drink a glass of milk (skim!) or eat a banana or some other melatonin- or serotonin-containing food to help make you sleepy. If you need to rise early in the morning, skip late-night activities. The best sleep schedule is a regular schedule, and one that is in sync with the natural rhythms of the day. If you need to, sleep late on weekends to re-pay sleep debts. Sleeping late on weekends is at least a good way to get your restorative sleep and reset your stress hormone patterns.

Here are my top five tips to help you create and maintain a successful sleep routine:

1. Set aside a power down hour before bedtime. Stop work. No chores. Do something relaxing like take a warm bath, engage in light reading, or watch TV if that’s relaxing for you (avoid the news channels).

2. Go to bed and get up at the same time 7 days a week--no matter what!

3. Schedule in at least 30 minutes of exercise most days of the week. You can break up these minutes into pockets of 10 minutes if you have to. Here’s an idea: Expose yourself to bright, morning natural light (a good thing for calibrating the body’s natural clock) with a brisk walk before breakfast, then again at lunch, and after dinner.

4. Avoid caffeine after 2 pm in the afternoon. Don’t forget hidden sources like soda, and some headache medicines.

5. Adopt some mind-, body-, and sleep-friendly practices like meditation, massage, or yoga.

Continue Learning about Sleep Basics

Tell Me Why…I Dream
Tell Me Why…I Dream
You’re in class and the teacher announces a surprise test. You haven’t studied, done homework or even been to class for weeks—and you may or may not b...
Can warm milk really help me fall asleep?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
You might think that tryptophan, a natural substance found in milk that can have a relaxation effect...
How can I fit a nap into my day?
A nap can be the quickest way to reboot your tired brain in the afternoon, charge yourself up for th...
Is Skimping on Sleep Okay?
Is Skimping on Sleep Okay?