How can extra sleep help my heart?

An extra hour can lower your risk of developing calcium deposits in your arteries. Yes, calcium is good for you, but not in your arteries. If you get technical with your cocktail friends, remind them that calcium deposits are a precursor of heart disease. Also not a good thing.

Sleep also protects us from too much exposure to the stress hormone cortisol, which also dips during sleep. Chronic exposure to cortisol can trigger lots of unhealthy consequences, one of which is a higher risk for cardiovascular problems.

With all the stress people feel theses days, sleep can be a remedy to cope, and to do good for your heart, which bears so much of that stress.

Continue Learning about Sleep Basics

How Can I Improve My Teen's Sleep Habits?
Is Skimping on Sleep Okay?
Is Skimping on Sleep Okay?
What's a Good Breathing Exercise to Help Me Sleep?
How Can a Food Curfew Help Me Get a Good Night's Sleep?