Does sleep loss cause weight gain in women?

Alice Domar
For many women, the most distressing study about sleep produced headlines that read “Insomnia Makes You Fat.” It’s true that the Nurses’ Health Study showed that women who sleep less than seven hours nightly gained more weight over a period of 16 years than women who slept seven hours or more. But the weight gain was moderate. Women who slept five hours or less nightly gained an average of about five pounds more than women who slept for seven hours, and women who slept six hours gained about a pound and a half more. The study points to seven hours -- not eight! -- as a good baseline. And it’s not as if you will wake up one morning after a restless night and suddenly find yourself so big that you need to be hoisted out of your bed with a harness and crane. As always, the best course is to check in with yourself. Do you find yourself eating a lot more (especially chocolate, which contains caffeine) when you sleep less? Do you lose weight when you get more sleep? If so, you can decide on a rational course of action. If not, don’t worry about it.
Live a Little!: Breaking the Rules Won't Break Your Health

Later to bed, munching some fries, makes a girl pretty healthy and wise. . . .Yes, it’s true—more or less. Why? Women do need to eat healthier, exercise, get adequate sleep, and take preventive...

Continue Learning about Sleep Basics

Tell Me Why…I Dream
Tell Me Why…I Dream
You’re in class and the teacher announces a surprise test. You haven’t studied, done homework or even been to class for weeks—and you may or may not b...
How can I fit a nap into my day?
Ann Scritsmier , NASM Elite TrainerAnn Scritsmier , NASM Elite Trainer
That's a tough question to answer without more information - such as what you do for a living, etc.....
Which is the healthiest sleeping position?
Steven Shoshany, DCSteven Shoshany, DC
The healthiest sleeping position is lying flat on your back with your cervical spine supported. In t...
What Can I Do to Avoid Waking Up at Night After Falling Asleep?