Can lack of sleep increase the risk of getting sick?

In a two-week study, getting a little less sleep -- under seven hours instead of eight or more -- made people three times more likely to get sick after exposure to a cold virus.

Now that's something to sleep on.

Seems your immune system takes a hit from both lack of sleep and poor sleep. In fact, poor sleep may have an even bigger impact than short sleep. People in the study were five times more likely to get sick when their sleep quality dipped -- even if it just dipped a smidge.

Continue Learning about Sleep Basics

Tell Me Why…I Dream
Tell Me Why…I Dream
You’re in class and the teacher announces a surprise test. You haven’t studied, done homework or even been to class for weeks—and you may or may not b...
Can sleeping well help me live longer?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
A study in the journal Sleep indicates that sleep factors big time into one’s quality of life an...
Why can some people function well on little sleep?
People who actually only need fewer than six hours of sleep a night are called ‘super sleepers’ ...
What Can I Do to Avoid Waking Up at Night After Falling Asleep?