How can I fit a nap into my day?

A nap can be the quickest way to reboot your tired brain in the afternoon, charge yourself up for the rest of the day, and help you refresh yourself down to the cellular level. You can try this at home (or maybe even the office):

• Aim to take a nap 8 hours after your wake time, but no later than 3:30 p.m. (otherwise your nap could disrupt your ability to fall asleep that night, especially if you’re early to bed). Set aside 30 minutes, since it may take you 10 minutes to fall asleep (if you feel asleep much faster you are likely sleep deprived and you really need a nap), which leaves 20 minutes for the power nap. Use an alarm clock.

• Get comfortable: Shake off your shoes, recline on a couch or bed (if available), or in a chair. Turn off or dim the lights, or use an eye mask to block distracting light. Get a blanket to stay warm.

• Don’t get uncomfortable: The thought of taking a nap in the middle of the day, especially a busy work day, might sound crazy to some (like friends and co-workers). Get over it! Remember, some of the most celebrated and productive (and smart and creative and innovative) people in history were huge nappers.

If anyone gives you a hard time catching a few winks in the afternoon, just tell them that you’re working on your brain power.

That's a tough question to answer without more information - such as what you do for a living, etc..  I would just say fit it in wherever you can.  Sometimes even just going somewhere quiet and shutting your eyes is helpful.  It doesn't have to be a full blown nap to be beneficial.

Continue Learning about Sleep Basics

Tell Me Why…I Dream
Tell Me Why…I Dream
You’re in class and the teacher announces a surprise test. You haven’t studied, done homework or even been to class for weeks—and you may or may not b...
Why is it important to get sufficient sleep?
Your body needs time to rest and regenerate, and getting enough ZZZZs will give you more energy and ...
Why is it important for children to get enough sleep?
Making sure children get enough sleep is one of the basic components of a good health plan. When you...
How Can I Improve My Teen's Sleep Habits?