Can using electronic devices at night cause problems with sleeping?

Using electronic devices at night can cause problems with sleeping. Studies have shown that there is greater risk of sleep deprivation or disturbances in sleeping patterns due to exposure to screen light prior to bedtime. An electronic devices’ “blue light,” in particular, affects the melatonin levels in the brain, which is responsible for helping bodies sleep.

This content originally appeared online at Baptist Health South Florida. https://baptisthealth.net/baptist-health-news/new-screen-time-guidelines-children/?cat=education

Continue Learning about Sleep Basics

Tell Me Why…I Dream
Tell Me Why…I Dream
You’re in class and the teacher announces a surprise test. You haven’t studied, done homework or even been to class for weeks—and you may or may not b...
What can help me fall asleep at night?
Jill A. Grimes, MDJill A. Grimes, MD
For the occasional sleepless night, go ahead and use a sleep medicine if you'd like, either pres...
Why should I use my bedroom only for the purpose of sleeping?
Dede BonnerDede Bonner
One of the worst things you can do for your sleeping problems is to use your bedroom for other activ...
Can My Diet Affect My Sleep?
Can My Diet Affect My Sleep?