How are sleep and human growth hormone (HGH) linked?

Leslie Bonci, MPH

One reason sleep is so crucial to health is that you produce human growth hormone (HGH) while you snooze. In this video, sports nutrition specialist Leslie Bonci explains how to ensure you get enough.

Ben Kaminsky
Dermatology
Human growth hormone (HGH), secreted by the pituitary gland of the brain, declines in production as people age. A microscopic protein substance, HGH, is secreted in short pulses during deep sleep and after exercise. The decline of growth hormone with age is directly associated with cardiovascular disease, increased body fat, osteoporosis, gray hair, wrinkles, decreased energy, reduced sexual function, and other symptoms. Many of these symptoms are found in younger adults who have growth hormone deficiencies. Increasing deep sleep to promote an increase in HGH might help delay many of the conditions associated with aging.
Beyond Botox: 7 Strategies for Sexy, Ageless Skin Without Needles or Surgery

Sexy and ageless skin is possible for a woman at any age--and she doesn't have to resort to invasive treatments like Botox to get it-as long as she cares for her skin properly, says Ben Kaminsky,...

Continue Learning about Sleep Basics

Tell Me Why…I Dream
Tell Me Why…I Dream
You’re in class and the teacher announces a surprise test. You haven’t studied, done homework or even been to class for weeks—and you may or may not b...
What is the importance of sleep in my life?
Dr. Michael T. Murray, NDDr. Michael T. Murray, ND
Adequate sleep is absolutely necessary for long-term health and regeneration. Many physiologic proce...
What is the best way to nap?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
Researchers have determined that naps give the best health benefits when they are: About 30 minute...
How Can a Food Curfew Help Me Get a Good Night's Sleep?