Who gets sleep apnea?

Dr. Anita Gupta
Anesthesiology
Sleep apnea occurs when someone’s breathing gets interrupted while he or she is asleep, because of the way the brain functions. It puts people at a risk for stroke, diabetes, heart attack, obesity, irregular heartbeat, high blood pressure, and heart failure. Even though anyone can get sleep apnea, it is more common in overweight men over the age of 40.
Anyone can get sleep apnea. While it tends to happen in people who are overweight, it does not have too. Obstructive sleep apnea (where there is a blockage in your nose or throat) happens in men, women the elderly, and even children. Central sleep apnea (where your brain tells your lungs not to breathe) can also occur in all types of people as well.  

Continue Learning about Sleep Apnea

Sleep Apnea and Depression
Sleep Apnea and Depression
A low-pressure cell walks into an isobar in the Bahamas. The result: A tropical depression. Know what else causes depression? Obstructive sleep apnea ...
What should I do if I think I have sleep apnea?
If you think you have sleep apnea, you should make an appointment with your doctor  to discuss it. M...
Have the number of sleep apnea cases increased?
Steven C. Smart, MDSteven C. Smart, MD
We have noticed a dramatic increase in sleep apnea cases. Five years ago it was stated that betw...
The Link Between Sleep Apnea and Osteoporosis