What are the types of sleep apnea?

There are three classifications for sleep apnea including central, obstructive and complex. Central sleep apnea is associated with an interrupted or decreased respiratory effort. Obstructive sleep apnea is blockage of the airflow despite respiratory effort such as snoring. And complex sleep apnea is a combination of central and obstructive.
There are two types of sleep apnea: obstructive, which is the most common, and central.

Obstructive sleep apnea occurs when something is literally obstructing or blocking your airway.

Central involves the central nervous system. Essentially, your brain isn't communicating well with your respiratory system, so the pauses between breaths are much too long.
There are two types of sleep apnea: central apnea and obstructive apnea. In central apnea, the brain does not send the proper signals to breathe during sleep; this is a rare condition but can be treated. In obstructive apnea, which is by far the most common type, the patient tries to breathe but cannot because of tissue obstruction in the upper airway which is more pronounced when the patient lies down, or from muscle relaxation during deep sleep. This obstruction can be from excess tissue, and also from disproportionate anatomy in the upper airway.
Scott M. Leibowitz, MD
Sleep Medicine
There are two basic types of sleep apnea: obstructive sleep apnea and central sleep apnea. Watch this video to learn more from Dr. Scott Leibowitz about the different types of sleep apnea.

Continue Learning about Sleep Apnea

Wake Up to the Worries and Cures of Sleep Apnea
Walruses groan, hogs grunt, tigers snarl. But those guttural noises can’t compare to the heart-stopping, brain-dinging, sleep-robbing snorts, gasps an...
Does sleep apnea make it harder to control blood pressure?
Baptist Health South FloridaBaptist Health South Florida
Sleep apnea is a repetitive blockage of the upper airway that stops your breathing. Watch Timothy L....
What should I do if I think I have sleep apnea?
If you think you have sleep apnea, you should make an appointment with your doctor  to discuss it. M...
How Can I Tell If My Partner Really Has Sleep Apnea?