What are the symptoms of sleep apnea in children?

Douglas Li, MD
Pediatric Pulmonology
Common symptoms of sleep apnea in children include snoring (not necessarily loud snoring), mouth breathing, and choking or gasping in the middle of the night.

Other signs of sleep apnea in children include:
  • daytime sleepiness (the child falls asleep in class, while watching TV, requires regular naps of longer than 30 minutes)
  • bedwetting (especially if a child previously stayed dry at night)
  • very restless sleep and sleeping in unusual positions
  • inattention or poor attention
  • hyperactivity
  • mood issues
  • excessive sweating during sleep
In severe cases, children may fail to grow or have heart problems.

Continue Learning about Sleep Apnea

Wake Up to the Worries and Cures of Sleep Apnea
Walruses groan, hogs grunt, tigers snarl. But those guttural noises can’t compare to the heart-stopping, brain-dinging, sleep-robbing snorts, gasps an...
Have the number of sleep apnea cases increased?
Steven C. Smart, MDSteven C. Smart, MD
We have noticed a dramatic increase in sleep apnea cases. Five years ago it was stated that betw...
What could cause excessive daytime drowsiness?
There are many possible causes of excessive daytime drowsiness. Some of the common causes are: poor ...
How Can I Tell If My Partner Really Has Sleep Apnea?