What can I do to manage my sleep apnea?

Sleep apnea is generally caused by the obstruction of breathing passages while in a deep sleep. Managing this problem consists of methods to make this airway obstruction less likely. Weight loss for overweight or obese patients is critical and often very effective.

A common medical therapy for sleep apnea is the use of a CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure) machine during sleep. CPAP is a very effective treatment for sleep apnea, but some patients find that using the machine is difficult, while other patients are able to use a CPAP machine with no problems. 

Some patients with very large tonsils or a very large palate (roof of the mouth) may even benefit from a type of surgery to make the airway larger.

Losing weight if you are overweight helps relieve the pressure on your airway that contributes to your nighttime breathing pauses if you have sleep apnea.

Changing your sleeping position by using pillows or other props to keep you from lying on your back may help maintain an open airway.

Avoiding alcohol and any substance that slows your brain function, including central nervous system (CNS) depressants such as sedatives and muscle relaxants, also helps keep your airway clear.

Warning: Do not take sleep aids if you have or suspect you have sleep apnea. Sleep aids depress the central nervous system and can make pauses in breathing worse.

Continue Learning about Sleep Apnea

When should I call my doctor if I have sleep apnea?
Robert D. MacMillan, MDRobert D. MacMillan, MD
Sleep apnea is a condition, usually accompanied by heavy snoring, that results in dozens, if not hun...
Are sleep apnea and fainting related?
Steven C. Smart, MDSteven C. Smart, MD
Yes, but loosely. Sleep apnea causes severe sleep deprivation and may cause fainting due to slee...
How can I be supportive of my partner who has sleep apnea?
SecondsCount.orgSecondsCount.org
Your partner may be the one with sleep apnea - a disorder in which breathing is interrupted througho...
What Are the Types of Sleep Apnea?
What Are the Types of Sleep Apnea?