How is sleep apnea linked to eye disorders?

What’s interesting about this study is that it debunked previous notions about floppy eyelid syndrome (FES), which had long been considered a disease of overweight, middle-aged men. The British researchers did not find such a pattern based on age, gender, or body mass index (a measure of weight and barometer for obesity). But they did find a remarkable pattern with regard to obstructive sleep apnea, which affects more than 18 million people in the United States:

• People with FES have rubbery-textured upper eyelids that may easily flip up during sleep, exposing the whites of their eyes, which can lead to dry, irritated eyes and/or discharge.

• Most people would awaken if their eyes became excessively dry and irritated during sleep, but people with OSA may have a dysfunctional nervous system that prevents them from waking to address their eyes.

• What’s more, people with OSA tend to sleep on one side, which could result in intense, repeated pressure on the eyelid on that side of the face.

• The combination of all these factors may contribute to or cause FES.

Continue Learning about Sleep Apnea

This Sleep Disorder Can Take Years Off Your Life
In September 2016, a train crashed into a station in Hoboken, New Jersey, killing one person and injuring more than 100. According to a CBS/AP news re...
What is sleep apnea?
Sleep apnea is a serious, potentially life-threatening condition that is far more common than genera...
When should I call my doctor if I have sleep apnea?
Robert D. MacMillan, MDRobert D. MacMillan, MD
Sleep apnea is a condition, usually accompanied by heavy snoring, that results in dozens, if not hun...
What Are the Types of Sleep Apnea?
What Are the Types of Sleep Apnea?