Is there a connection between sleep apnea and high levels of AST and ALT?

Steven C. Smart, MD
High levels of AST (aspartate aminotransferase) and ALT (alanine aminotransferase), two different types of enzymes in the body, can be signs of muscle injury or, more commonly, liver disease. Indirectly, these may be elevated in sleep apnea patients who have severe heart failure and severely elevated pressure in their lungs. It is often a sign of advanced disease. Most sleep apnea patients demonstrate no elevation in these markers.

Continue Learning about Sleep Apnea

Wake Up to the Worries and Cures of Sleep Apnea
Walruses groan, hogs grunt, tigers snarl. But those guttural noises can’t compare to the heart-stopping, brain-dinging, sleep-robbing snorts, gasps an...
Have the number of sleep apnea cases increased?
Steven C. Smart, MDSteven C. Smart, MD
We have noticed a dramatic increase in sleep apnea cases. Five years ago it was stated that betw...
When should I call my doctor if I have sleep apnea?
Robert D. MacMillan, MDRobert D. MacMillan, MD
Sleep apnea is a condition, usually accompanied by heavy snoring, that results in dozens, if not hun...
4 Fixes to Stop Snoring
4 Fixes to Stop Snoring