Is there a connection between sleep apnea and high levels of AST and ALT?

Steven C. Smart, MD
High levels of AST (aspartate aminotransferase) and ALT (alanine aminotransferase), two different types of enzymes in the body, can be signs of muscle injury or, more commonly, liver disease. Indirectly, these may be elevated in sleep apnea patients who have severe heart failure and severely elevated pressure in their lungs. It is often a sign of advanced disease. Most sleep apnea patients demonstrate no elevation in these markers.

Continue Learning about Sleep Apnea

This Sleep Disorder Can Take Years Off Your Life
In September 2016, a train crashed into a station in Hoboken, New Jersey, killing one person and injuring more than 100. According to a CBS/AP news re...
What is an apnea monitor?
An apnea monitor tracks breathing and heartrate. Apnea is when an individual stops breathing. A home...
What can I do to manage my sleep apnea?
Losing weight if you are overweight helps relieve the pressure on your airway that contributes t...
4 Fixes to Stop Snoring
4 Fixes to Stop Snoring