Have the number of sleep apnea cases increased?

Steven C. Smart, MD
We have noticed a dramatic increase in sleep apnea cases. Five years ago it was stated that between 5% and 10% of heart disease patients may have sleep apnea. Now the percentage may be as high as 45 to 55%. We are now finding the effects of sleep apnea on the heart commonly during screening stress tests. It is very important to screen for the combination of sleep apnea and heart disease because the risk of heart-related death may be eight times the normal population.

Continue Learning about Sleep Apnea

This Sleep Disorder Can Take Years Off Your Life
In September 2016, a train crashed into a station in Hoboken, New Jersey, killing one person and injuring more than 100. According to a CBS/AP news re...
How important is sleeping position for people with sleep apnea?
American Academy of Sleep MedicineAmerican Academy of Sleep Medicine
Positional therapy is a behavioral strategy used to treat positional sleep apnea. Some people have s...
What is sleep apnea?
Sleep apnea is a serious, potentially life-threatening condition that is far more common than genera...
Should I Be Worried About My Snoring?
Should I Be Worried About My Snoring?