What are the side effects of a continuous positive airway pressure machine?

A continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) machine is a mechanical device used to treat sleep apnea, a common but serious sleep disorder that consists of interrupted breathing while sleeping. The CPAP machine requires wearing a mask over the nose and uses air blown through a tube to continuously maintain an open airway during sleep.

While a CPAP machine is the most effective treatment for sleep apnea, some side effects are possible. When you use CPAP, you may have nasal congestion, dry mouth, or skin irritation. You may also start snoring again even with the use of CPAP. Talk to your doctor about how to deal with these symptoms and about possibly readjusting your machine to make sure it is working properly.

Continue Learning about Sleep Apnea Treatment

What are a maxillomandibular osteotomy (MMO) and an advancement (MMA)?
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMDGregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Osteotomy means "to cut bone." A maxillomandibular osteotomy would be one in which both the upper an...
Where can I purchase an oral appliance therapy product for sleep apnea?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
The best place to purchase an oral appliance for the treatment of sleep apnea is from your local den...
Should I Be Worried About My Snoring?
Should I Be Worried About My Snoring?
How Is Sleep Apnea Treated?
How Is Sleep Apnea Treated?