What is the Pillar procedure?

Craig L. Schwimmer, MD
Ear, Nose & Throat (Otolaryngology)
The Pillar Procedure is an FDA approved treatment for both snoring and mild-to-moderate sleep apnea. It works by stiffening the soft palate. Under local anesthesia, small implants (stitches, really) are placed inside the soft palate. Over time, the body forms scar tissue around these implants. This scar stiffens the soft palate, decreasing the vibration and collapse that can contribute to snoring and sleep apnea.

The Pillar procedure is typically an in-office treatment that may help relieve your obstructive sleep apnea symptoms. After giving you a local anesthetic, your doctor will place several tiny pieces of polyester string in the back of your mouth. The string stiffens your mouth, reduce airway relaxation and vibrations, and increase airflow as you sleep.

Continue Learning about Sleep Apnea Treatment

What should I know about my CPAP machine’s battery?
SecondsCount.orgSecondsCount.org
For many people, a continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) machine is the most effective treatmen...
What surgical procedures are used to treat sleep apnea?
SCAISCAI
Surgery is usually reserved as a last treatment option for sleep apnea, a common but serious sleep d...
Should I Be Worried About My Snoring?
Should I Be Worried About My Snoring?
Is There a Mouthpiece That Helps with Sleep Apnea?