What can help my CPAP therapy be successful?

Continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) is the most commonly prescribed treatment for obstructive sleep apnea (OSA). A group of researchers at Penn State reviewed 80 CPAP-related studies, searching for evidence of the most important factors in successful CPAP therapy. They found that social support increases the likelihood that a CPAP user will continue to use the device. Spouses and partners who provide active support for the CPAP can help a patient feel more relaxed and comfortable with, and also more accountable to, following through with the treatment night after night. And it's this follow through that makes all the difference in whether or not the CPAP treatment is allowed to work as successfully as it can.

There is no single right way to approach integrating the CPAP into your life. Researchers have found that CPAP success is best promoted on a case-by-case basis, with individualized treatment regimens that take into account a patient's life circumstances, the particulars of their disease, as well as their psychological and social circumstances. For example, for patients without partners, telecommunications strategies such as regular phone calls and wireless telemonitoring may be able to provide the social support and connection that appears to be so effective.

Continue Learning about Sleep Apnea Treatment

Why do my night sweats stop when I use CPAP at night?
Steven D. Bender, DDSSteven D. Bender, DDS
Sleep apnea means that you stop breathing for at least 10 seconds while you are sleeping. When this ...
What is dental sleep medicine?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
Dental sleep medicine is an area of dentistry that focuses on using oral appliances to treat sleep-d...
Should I Be Worried About My Snoring?
Should I Be Worried About My Snoring?
Is There a Mouthpiece That Helps with Sleep Apnea?