What should I consider when getting a CPAP machine?

A continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) machine is the most effective treatment for obstructive sleep apnea. It requires wearing a mask over the nose and uses air blown through a tube to continuously maintain an open airway during sleep. It should be worn anytime you sleep (day or night).
Talk to your doctor about the many options for CPAP machines. The machines vary, but many newer ones are as small as a shoebox and much quieter than they used to be. Some will also humidify the air, which may matter to you, depending on where you live. Insurance usually covers the CPAP machine, so if your machine is outdated, consider looking into getting a newer one.

Continue Learning about Sleep Apnea Treatment

How does a hypoglossal stimulator treat sleep apnea?
To treat sleep apnea, a hypoglossal nerve stimulator is fully implanted and stimulates the airway mu...
How does oral appliance therapy treat snoring?
American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine (AADSM)American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine (AADSM)
To treat snoring, oral sleep appliances support the jaw in a forward position to help maintain an op...
How Is Sleep Apnea Treated?
How Is Sleep Apnea Treated?
Should I Be Worried About My Snoring?
Should I Be Worried About My Snoring?