What are the advantages of oral appliance therapy?

Oral appliance therapy can help with sleep apnea in some patients who have been unable to tolerate CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure) therapy or are incompletely treated by CPAP and/or surgery. However, oral appliances are not considered to be the first choice for therapy in patients with sleep apnea.

An advantage of oral appliance therapy is that it is an effective, non-invasive treatment that fits easily into a patient's lifestyle. People like oral appliance therapy because it is:

• comfortable
  • easy to wear
  • quiet
  • portable
  • convenient for travel
  • easy to care for

This content originally appeared on the American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine (AADSM) website.

Continue Learning about Sleep Apnea Treatment

What is a good mouthpiece to help me with my sleep apnea?
John Van der Werff, DDSJohn Van der Werff, DDS
There are over 70 different designs. The ones available over the counter or on the internet are not ...
What surgical procedures are used to treat sleep apnea?
SCAISCAI
Surgery is usually reserved as a last treatment option for sleep apnea, a common but serious sleep d...
Should I Be Worried About My Snoring?
Should I Be Worried About My Snoring?
How Is Sleep Apnea Treated?
How Is Sleep Apnea Treated?