What are the advantages of oral appliance therapy?

Oral appliance therapy can help with sleep apnea in some patients who have been unable to tolerate CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure) therapy or are incompletely treated by CPAP and/or surgery. However, oral appliances are not considered to be the first choice for therapy in patients with sleep apnea.

An advantage of oral appliance therapy is that it is an effective, non-invasive treatment that fits easily into a patient's lifestyle. People like oral appliance therapy because it is:

• comfortable
  • easy to wear
  • quiet
  • portable
  • convenient for travel
  • easy to care for

This content originally appeared on the American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine (AADSM) website.

Continue Learning about Sleep Apnea Treatment

Should I get the Pillar procedure for my obstructive sleep apnea symptoms?
Craig L. Schwimmer, MDCraig L. Schwimmer, MD
The Pillar Procedure is FDA approved for the treatment of mild-to-moderate sleep apnea. It can be a ...
What is continuous positive airway pressure treatment (CPAP)?
Fred Y. Lin, MDFred Y. Lin, MD
Continuous positive airway pressure treatment (CPAP) uses mild air pressure to keep an individual’s ...
Should I Be Worried About My Snoring?
Should I Be Worried About My Snoring?
How Is Sleep Apnea Treated?
How Is Sleep Apnea Treated?