Should I get the Pillar procedure for my obstructive sleep apnea symptoms?

Craig L. Schwimmer, MD
Ear, Nose & Throat (Otolaryngology)
The Pillar Procedure is FDA approved for the treatment of mild-to-moderate sleep apnea. It can be a very effective, and convenient, way to address the soft palate. Because people with sleep apnea often have more than one anatomic site of collapse, they may require treatments in addition to the Pillar Procedure for maximal improvement.

The Pillar procedure is typically an in-office treatment that may help relieve your obstructive sleep apnea symptoms. The Pillar procedure may be effective for those whose obstructive sleep apnea happens when their overly-relaxed muscles make their soft palates flutter and block their airway. This procedure is usually not appropriate for people who are obese, or those who have severe obstructive sleep apnea. Talk to your doctor if you have a history of adverse reactions to anesthesia.

Continue Learning about Sleep Apnea Treatment

How does a continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) machine work?
A continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) machine is a small device—the size of a bread box—t...
Can I do a sleep test for sleep apnea in my home?
American Academy of Sleep MedicineAmerican Academy of Sleep Medicine
If you are at high risk for obstructive sleep apnea but have no other medical disorders, you may be ...
Should I Be Worried About My Snoring?
Should I Be Worried About My Snoring?
Is There a Mouthpiece That Helps with Sleep Apnea?