How do I know if my dentist is trained in oral appliance therapy?

Many times the manufacturers of oral appliances will have a list of approved dentists who would be able to fit the different devices. You would need to talk with your dentist about which oral appliance therapies he or she is trained to use.

To find out if your dentist is trained in oral appliance therapy, ask your dentist if he or she has any of these qualifications:

• certification in dental sleep medicine by a non-profit organization, such as the American Board of Dental Sleep Medicine (ABDSM)
  • designation as the dental director of a dental sleep medicine facility accredited by a non-profit organization, such as the American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine (AADSM)
  • recognized continuing education in dental sleep medicine provided by a dental sleep medicine focused non-profit organization or accredited dental school within the last 2 years

Oral appliance therapy should be provided by a qualified dentist who has technical skill and knowledge in dental sleep medicine. Training in how to provide oral appliance therapy is uncommon in dental schools. So not all dentists have the training or experience to provide optimal care for adults with snoring or sleep apnea.

This content originally appeared on the American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine (AADSM) website.

Continue Learning about Sleep Apnea Treatment

Where can I purchase an oral appliance therapy product for sleep apnea?
John Van der Werff, DDSJohn Van der Werff, DDS
An oral appliance for sleep apnea is a device that is used to treat a potentially life threatening c...
If I lose weight, will my sleep apnea go away?
Sleep apnea has three causes: central, in which your brain causes a lack of breathing desire; obstru...
How Is Sleep Apnea Treated?
How Is Sleep Apnea Treated?
Should I Be Worried About My Snoring?
Should I Be Worried About My Snoring?