How can a CPAP machine help keep me healthy if I have sleep apnea?

If you have obstructive sleep apnea, which occurs when something is literally obstructing or blocking your airway, a continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) will help you breathe regularly while you're sleeping by increasing air pressure in your throat so it doesn't close. It's often 100% effective in treating obstructive sleep apnea, and it stops your snoring too. But you may need to use it for the rest of your life.

Use your CPAP at least 4 hours a night - it could save your brain and life!

◦ CPAP has been shown to reduce the incidence of cardiovascular events and hypertension in sleep apnea patients. There was a 25% reduction of hypertension and cardiovascular events risk with consistent CPAP use (4+hours per night).

◦ CPAP therapy was shown to restore brain tissue in adults with sleep apnea. After 3 months of nightly CPAP use there was a significant grey-matter volume increase (in the hippocampus and frontal areas) this is where the brain does most of its information processing.

Continue Learning about Sleep Apnea Treatment

How does a continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) machine work?
A continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) machine is a small device—the size of a bread box—t...
What are the advantages of oral appliance therapy?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
Oral appliance therapy can help with sleep apnea in some patients who have been unable to tolerate C...
Should I Be Worried About My Snoring?
Should I Be Worried About My Snoring?
Is There a Mouthpiece That Helps with Sleep Apnea?