Can I travel if I use a continuous positive airway pressure machine?

For many people, a continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) machine is the most effective treatment for sleep apnea, a disorder in which sleep is interrupted throughout the night.

Fortunately, even though you may need CPAP, you can still travel and sleep away from home. Newer machines can be used internationally with proper adapters or plugs for 240V outlets. Many machines are light enough and small enough to fit in your checked baggage when flying. Breathing machines, including CPAP machines, are also authorized to go through security and can usually be placed in carry-on baggage on a plane, if you prefer. (Check with the airline prior to your travel, just in case, so you are not surprised if they tell you to check it when you check in for your flight.) You may also consider sending your CPAP machine by overnight mail to arrive at your travel destination, although this is somewhat risky since you would be without it for that one night and longer if the mail were delayed for any reason.

Continue Learning about Sleep Apnea Treatment

What surgical procedures are used to treat sleep apnea?
SCAISCAI
Surgery is usually reserved as a last treatment option for sleep apnea, a common but serious sleep d...
Can CPAP help improve intimacy with my partner if I have sleep apnea?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
Research shows that continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) -- the most commonly prescribed t...
How Is Sleep Apnea Treated?
How Is Sleep Apnea Treated?
Is There a Mouthpiece That Helps with Sleep Apnea?