What are the big risk factors for sleep apnea?

The big risk factors for obstructive sleep apnea include:
  • being overweight or obese
  • having a large neck size (men with greater than a 17-inch neck circumference and women with greater than a 15-inch neck circumference)
  • aging
  • family history of sleep apnea
  • smoking
  • small airways
  • nasal congestion
  • alcohol or sedative use
Children at increased risk for sleep apnea tend to have issues with enlarged tonsils or adenoids that block air movement through the throat when they sleep. 
If you don't have a bedmate who can personally witness your breathing breaks during the night, you can still gauge your risk of sleep apnea. These are all big risk factors:
  • Being overweight
  • Being excessively sleepy during the day. For example, if you can fall asleep anywhere during the day (and you do not work or play all night long)
  • Having a neck that's over 17 inches in circumference. In fact, that neck measurement means you have more than a 50 percent chance of developing sleep apnea (and a 30 percent chance of making it as an NFL offensive lineman).
YOU: The Owner's Manual, Updated and Expanded Edition: An Insider's Guide to the Body that Will Make You Healthier and Younger

Between your full-length mirror and high-school biology class, you probably think you know a lot about the human body. While it's true that we live in an age when we're as obsessed with our bodies as...

Continue Learning about Sleep Apnea Causes

Do football players have a higher risk of sleep apnea?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
According to this study, which examined a total of 137 active veteran players from 6 NFL teams, ...
What increases my risk for complex sleep apnea?
Having obstructive sleep apnea can sometimes lead to developing complex apnea. Factors that raise yo...
Does sleeping on my side help if I have sleep apnea?
Some people experience obstructive sleep apnea more frequently while sleeping on their back. Sle...
Should I Be Worried About My Snoring?
Should I Be Worried About My Snoring?