What are some side effects of sleep medications?

Dr. Pina LoGiudice, LAc, ND
Naturopathic Medicine
While sleeping pills can help us fall and stay asleep, it is known that these medications do not allow the body to fall into the deep phases of sleep that allow for the best health benefits sleep can give us. It is also well known that all of these medications have the risk of dependence and withdrawal effects, which can make them hard to stop using.

Most alarmingly, a large study of 30,000 people found a 300% increase in death in people who took fewer than 18 sleeping pills a year. Higher doses were linked to a greater than 500% increase in death. The authors of this study concluded that these sleeping drugs “may have been associated with 320,000 to 507,000 excess deaths in the USA alone.”

Continue Learning about Sleep Aid

What Happens If I Take a Sleeping Aid for Too Long?
Are Sleep Drinks an Effective Way to Help Me Fall and Stay Asleep?
What Are the Side Effects and Risks of Taking Belsomra to Help Me Sleep?
What Should I Know About Over-the-Counter Sleep Aids?