What should I know before taking suvorexant?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

It is not known if suvorexant is safe or effective for children and teens under 18 years of age.

If you have asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), a depressive disorder, or sleep apnea, suvorexant may not be a good option for you.

Because of its potential for abuse with long-term treatment, suvorexant may not be a good option for people who have had a substance use problem.

Suvorexant may not be a good option for women who are pregnant, planning pregnancy, or who may be pregnant. It is not known if it is safe for pregnant women.

If you are breastfeeding, suvorexant may not be a good option for you. It is not known if this drug can be passed into breast milk.

If you take suvorexant, you should not drink alcohol. 

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Continue Learning about Sleep Aid

What Are the Dangers of Driving After Taking a Sleeping Aid?
How Do Magnolia Bark Supplements Work to Help Me Fall Asleep?
What Should I Know About Over-The-Counter Sleep Aids?
Are Sleep Drinks an Effective Way to Help Me Fall and Stay Asleep?