Should I take sleeping pills?

Sleep aids are not a complete solution to your sleep problem. They are typically designed to be short-term relief from sleep deprivation. But they don't fix the cause, and, in fact, they often don't provide the kind of deep, natural sleep you really need.

For example, if it turns out that depression is the root cause of your sleeping problem, and not lifestyle, antidepressants might be what you need to sleep better. On the flip side, if you learn that you have sleep apnea, sleep aids could actually be dangerous.

Continue Learning about Sleep Aid

How many hours should I allow for sleep after I take a sleep aid?
Nina S. Radcliff, MDNina S. Radcliff, MD
After taking a sleep aid, you should allow at least 7 hours for sleep, especially if driving, becaus...
Are antidepressants a sleeping aid?
Antidepressants such as trazodone are sometimes used to prevent you from waking early in the mor...
What Are the Side Effects and Risks of Taking Belsomra to Help Me Sleep?
Can Antacids Help Me Sleep?
Can Antacids Help Me Sleep?