Should I take sleep aids if I have insomnia caused by anxiety?

If a good night's sleep is elusive and is caused by anxiety, it might be time to talk to your doctor about antianxiety medications or trying a sleeping aid for a short time. Although not a long-term solution to your problem, a sleeping aid may be the best choice you can make at the moment, because a chronic lack of sleep is so harmful for your physical and mental well-being.

Many people turn to over-the-counter (OTC) sleep aids, which often use antihistamines to promote sleepiness. They are good for an occasional sleepless night, but they lose effectiveness the more often you take them, and they can leave you groggy and fuzzy-headed the next day.

Talk to your doctor before taking any OTC sleep aid if you are taking any medication for depression, anxiety, any psychiatric condition, or Parkinson's disease.

Continue Learning about Sleep Aid

What Are the Dangers of Taking Medication That Was Not Prescribed for Me?
Can Valerian Work as Well as Sleep Medications?
What Should I Know About Over-the-Counter Sleep Aids?
What Are the Dangers of Driving After Taking a Sleeping Aid?