How does taking sleeping pills affect my health?

Many people try to conquer sleep problems by taking sleeping pills or drinking alcohol at bedtime. While these quick fixes might produce short-term sleep benefits, in the long run they disrupt sleep. Regular use of these substances can confuse your circadian rhythm (your internal clock), which means that you may then need the drug if you are to sleep at all. Occasional use is usually not a problem. (For example, you can take melatonin supplements to help avoid jet lag during international flights. However, for some people, this increases asthma symptoms.) If you feel you need sleeping pills, talk to your doctor. Sleeping pills can be physically and psychologically addictive and may have long-term aging effects. In fact, a recent study found that people who used sleeping pills more than fourteen days a month had a RealAge (physiologic age) 1.9 years older, and that those who took twenty-nine or more a month were 2.8 years older. It is a good idea to use sleeping pills for only a limited time or to abstain from them altogether.

Continue Learning about Sleep Aid

What should I know before taking suvorexant?
It is not known if suvorexant is safe or effective for children and teens under 18 years of age. If...
What are the side effects and risks of taking Belsomra to help me sleep?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
The most common side effect of the new insomnia drug, Belsomra, is next day sleepiness, and it has s...
How Does Alcohol Affect Sleep?
How Does Alcohol Affect Sleep?
How Many Hours Should I Allow for Sleep After I Take a Sleep Aid?